- Limpopo is tops among the South African provinces in boosting domestic tourism, one of the pivotal industries for the economy.
- Hence, it was selected to host the tourism month this September. Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom commended the province, citing Kruger National Park and Mapungubwe as two of the heritage sites that had contributed to the rising number of tourists.
- These two sites had also attracted a huge number of international tourists, putting South Africa on the global map as a premier destination.
- The minister said the department had also budgeted R100 million, which would be part of promoting tourism programmes in schools.
- Limpopo MEC for economic development, environment and tourism Seaparo Sekoati said hosting tourism month had been an opportunity for the province to shine.
- “This was one of the biggest events to put our tourism culture in the spotlight,” said Sekoati. The MEC also said that teaching young people about travel had became a priority in Limpopo province.
- To celebrate those who made tourism a success throughout the year, the department will honour stakeholders, tourist guides and schools with Lilizela Tourism Awards tonight.source: http://www.topontravel.com/?p=1413